Monday 21 April 2014

Book Recommendation | The Legend Trilogy by Marie Lu.


I recently finished the last book in the Legend trilogy, Champion, by Marie Lu. I wanted to review it, but I thought I'd talk about the series in general and why I think it stands out above other young adult dystopian novels.

image



The series is set in what was once the United States of America, a place called the Republic who are constantly at war with their neighbours, the Colonies. It follows the lives of June, a wealthy 15 year old prodigy training for the Republic's military, as well as Day, a boy from the slums who is a legend amoung the poor for the havoc he causes to the Republic military, and the #1 most wanted person in the country. The story sets off when June's brother, Metias, is killed and Day becomes the prime suspect. From there on, the lives of the Prodigy and the Legend are intertwined as they both uncover secrets about their country, and each other.


I enjoyed this series more than The Hunger Games. I thought it was a much more enthralling and compelling dystopian. The two main characters, June and Day, both live in the same country, but in very different worlds. But the shocking events that happen around them, change these characters a lot and think having the duel perspective between June and Day really helps the reader see the extent of their transformations. Honestly, I loved these characters so much. They both had done some unfavorable things but they are two of the most loyal characters I've read. 


As the series goes on, more shocking events happen. What was so refreshing though, was how realistic and genuine these events seemed. I could actually believe the story unfolding, and didn't once think, "but would that really happen?" like I have with other young adult novels. I was pleased with Lu's writing and how she allowed events to unfold, right until the very end. I may not have been happy with what happened to some of the characters, but I'm a pretty big believer in author's intent so I was content with beginning, middle and conclusion of the series.


For those who like a bit'f romance, there's a little in there. Again, very realistic, natural and none of that insta-love bullcrap that some YA novels have. Also, there's plenty of kick-ass action!


So, I'd recommend this series if you like dystopian with plenty of action, well thought-out events and realistic, awesome young characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment